Sedgwick County...working for you


Fireworks in Sedgwick County

Watch a Video about Fireworks in Sedgwick County

Sedgwick County Laws

Fireworks may be possessed and shot from July 1 through the Independence Day federal holiday in all unincorporated areas of Sedgwick County.  However, it is illegal to sell or buy fireworks in the unincorporated areas of Sedgwick County.

Sedgwick County's fireworks laws reflect those of the state of Kansas:

  • Specifically Permitted: all fireworks classified as consumer (1.4g) fireworks by DOT, except certain rockets.

  • Specifically Prohibited: aerial lanterns, commonly referred to as sky lanterns, any rockets mounted on a wire or stick, any device containing such rockets.

Shooting Fireworks in Cities Inside Sedgwick County

Fireworks laws within the limits of cities vary across the county.  Check with your municipality about their regulations before you purchase or shoot fireworks.

Fireworks Safety Tips

  • Small children should not handle fireworks; even sparklers can be harmful if mishandled.

  • Older children and young adults should be monitored by an adult when handling fireworks.

  • Always keep a bucket of water or a hose nearby.

  • Take old or illegal fireworks to a fire station or soak them in water until they unravel.

  • Follow the directions on the packages closely.

  • Do not hold fireworks that have been ignited.

  • Try to light fireworks on gravel, concrete or a hard surface that will not ignite.

  • Keep fireworks away from dry grass, hay, trees and all structures.

  • Pay attention to dry, windy conditions and to burn bans - do not ignite fireworks during these times.

  • Download a printable fire and fireworks safety flier.

Firework Storage

If you are in the unincorporated areas or a city in the Fire District that allows fireworks, you generally cannot sell or store fireworks. To sell or store fireworks in a building, you must get prior approval from the Sedgwick County Fire District 1.

Commercial Firework Permits

Persons wishing to shoot commercial fireworks must be a state-licensed fireworks display operator, provide liability insurance for the display, complete and submit a Commercial Fireworks Display Permit Application, pay for the permit, and comply with all rules.  See Commercial Fireworks Display Application Requirements.

Firework display permits may be obtained at the following locations:

  • Unincorporated Sedgwick County including the city's of Andale, Bel Aire, Bentley, Garden Plain, Goddard, Haysville, Kechi, Maize, Park City, and Viola – go to Sedgwick County Fire District offices located at 7750 N. Wild West Drive in Park City or download the application.

  • Cheney – visit the City of Cheney

  • Clearwater – visit the City of Clearwater

  • Colwich – visit the City of Colwich

  • Derby – visit the City of Derby

  • Mount Hope – visit the City of Mt. Hope

  • Mulvane – visit the City of Mulvane

  • Sedgwick – visit the City of Sedgwick

  • Valley Center – visit the City of Valley Center

  • Wichita – visit the City of Wichita

Sedgwick County...working for you

The Mission of Sedgwick County is to provide quality public services to our community so everyone can pursue freedom and prosperity in a safe, secure, and healthy environment.