The Kansas Open Records Act guarantees any person the right to inspect and
obtain copies of all public records – unless the records are closed consistent
with specific provisions of law.
Within three business days a county agency must either:
- Provide requested records, or
- Inform the requester when they will be provided, or
- State why the records cannot be provided
- Minutes from open meetings
- Salaries of public officials
Exceptions to the Freedom of Information Act
- Personnel records
- Medical treatment records
- Records protected by the client-attorney privilege
- Records containing information gathered in the Census
- Notes and preliminary drafts
- Criminal investigation records
- Other specific records
Please note that Sedgwick County does charge a fee to assemble
the requested information. This covers the cost of staff time as well as the
cost of copying or reproducing the record.
Sedgwick County is committed to making
our programs and services accessible to persons with disabilities. People with
disabilities requiring accommodations to access open records may contact
660-9840 for assistance.