Sedgwick County...working for you


  • Sheriff Jeff Easter

    Jeff Easter

    p. 316.660.3900
    EMERGENCY 9-1-1
    Jail:  316.660.5245

    141 W Elm
    Wichita, KS 67203

Sheriff Sales

The Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office conducts sales of real estate and other items under court order. Mortgage foreclosure sales are conducted each Wednesday at 10 a.m. in the courthouse basement conference room. Delinquent tax sales are advertised 30 days in advance of the date of the sale.

Mortgage foreclosure sales are advertised three weeks in advance of the date of the sale. Persons interested in bidding on items being sold may refer to The Sedgwick County Post. For more information, view our Frequently Asked Questions below or contact:

Personal Property Sales

Sgt. Tim Forshee  
316-660-3960 | Fax: 316-383-3996

Real Estate Mortgage Foreclosure Sales

Mortgage Foreclosure Clerk
Sarah Jennings
316-660-3908 | 316-660-3248

Donita Jarrell
316-660-3900 | Fax: 316-660-3248

Real Estate Tax Foreclosure Sales

Patty Bybee
316-660-3900 | Fax: 316-660-3248

Nikki Shortt
316-660-3900 | Fax: 316-660-3248

Frequently Asked Questions

When and where are sheriff’s sales held?

Mortgage foreclosure sales are held each Wednesday (except County holidays) at 10:00 am sharp in the Cafeteria Conference room located in the basement of the Sedgwick County Courthouse.

Tax foreclosure, personal property and surplus property sales are conducted as the need arises with the location, date and time published in one of the county papers of record.

How can I learn about what properties or items are for sale?

Sheriff mortgage foreclosure sales are subject to change on a day to day basis and we are not able to respond to individual inquiries regarding list of properties or items for sale. Persons interested in bidding on items being sold may refer to the Sedgwick County paper of record in The Wichita Eagle.

What information is published on items being sold?

The case caption, district court case number, name of the attorney for the plaintiff issuing the order of sale and the legal description of the property.

Where can I go to obtain information not listed in the publication?

If the street address is not listed on the published order, the sheriff’s office will not have it. Interested parties may contact the county treasurer’s office to obtain such information. Information on the amount of judgment, court costs, taxes owed, etc. are available and can be viewed in the open court file which is available through the clerk of the district court, civil division which is located on the eleventh floor of the Sedgwick County Courthouse, 525 N. Main Wichita.

What information do I need to have in order to make inquiries on sales being held by the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office?

You must have either the defendant’s name or the district court case number in order make inquiries on the status of sales. We are unable to help you if you only have the address.

What form of payment is required when bidding on sheriff sales?

The full bid amount for a sale item must be paid in cash, certified check or money order at the time of sale. The sheriff’s office will accept personal checks only with the prior approval in writing from the attorney for the plaintiff listed in the order of sale. The sheriff’s office will not give “change” from any transaction conducted at a sheriff’s sale. Should the amount of the check or cash be over the amount bid, the sheriff will issue a receipt for the actual amount received and any overage will be paid from the clerk’s office at a later date.

After the sale what happens prior to the sheriff’s office issuing deed for the property?

After the sale the following events occur prior to the issuance of a sheriff’s deed.

A return of service on the order of sale is filed by the sheriff’s office with the clerk of the district court.
The clerk of the district court will send a receipt to the winning bidder.

An order confirming the sale will be generated, usually by the plaintiff’s attorney and signed by a judge. The orders may contain a redemption period, which is generally three months in length; although longer and shorter periods of time may be specified by the court. Redemption rights can also be extinguished altogether upon order of the court.

Following the receipt of the order confirming the sale the sheriff’s office will issue a certificate of purchase, which states the name, the length of the redemption period, if any and the amount bid by the winning bidder. The certificate of purchase will be sent to the plaintiff’s attorney or to the winning bidder.  At the end of the redemption period, the buyer will surrender the original copy of the certificate of purchase to the sheriff’s office.

Following the receipt of the original copy of the certificate of purchase by the sheriff’s office, a sheriff’s deed will be issued to the winning bidder.

What happens if the property is redeemed during the redemption period?

There will be no sheriff’s deed issued for the property and the clerk of the district court will refund the money paid on the date of the sale.

Whom should I contact if I have routine questions regarding the processing of sheriff’s mortgage foreclosure sales?

The contact points for mortgage foreclosure sales are:

Sarah Jennings
Mortgage Foreclosure Clerk

Donita Jarrell

Sedgwick County...working for you

The Mission of Sedgwick County is to provide quality public services to our community so everyone can pursue freedom and prosperity in a safe, secure, and healthy environment.