This Week in Sedgwick County - April 7, 2021
Board of County Commissioners
- Commissioners adopted a proclamation declaring April as Child Abuse Prevention Month.
- Board appointments: Richard Vargas, Kelli Grant, Community Corrections Advisory Board; Adam Bosworth, District 4 Citizens Advisory Board; Rita Severt, Advisory Council on Aging; Tim Bonnell, re-nominated to Wichita Airport Advisory Board.
- Sheriff Easter spoke to Commissioners about increasing compensation for detention deputies and corporals.
- This will allow $2.1 million to be used to increase salaries for certain employees as there are nearly 100 vacancies in the Sheriff’s office and staffing is limited.
- A grant for $197,921 from KDHE for the purchase of two gas chromatography mass spectrometry analysis systems was approved.
- These systems will replace two current but aged pieces of equipment and allow for expedited and thorough analysis of data.
- There was a public hearing related to proposed special assessments for internal improvement projects in the county.
- This is related to the Cherese Woods Addition (Phase 1) and the Osage Country Addition (Phase 1).
- Commissioners adopted the Resolution, meaning the lots in Phase 1 of each addition will be assessed equally for the project costs.
View the meeting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9M73OAr7Ac
For questions, contact Public Information Officer Kate Flavin at (316) 660-9370.