Metropolitan Area Building and Construction Department

Trade Testing

ICC Testing

The International Code Council's Contractor/Trades examination program is an independent testing program designed to provide licensing agencies with information regarding qualified contractors and trades professionals. Participating in the Code Council examination program does not guarantee that a licensing agency will award you a license. However, the Code Council examination program serves as an independent appraisal of your competency in the construction field, and your test results may be used by licensing agencies to satisfy the requirements for testing.

Examination information, including registration/scheduling requirements, dates, locations, fees, and references, are subject to change. Candidates should make sure they have the most current information before registering for/scheduling a Code Council examination by going to or by calling 1-877-234-6082

IAPMO Testing 

The International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO) provides exams for Journeyman Plumber, Master Plumber, Journeyman Mechanical, and Master Mechanical. These exams are designed to evaluate the competency of professionals in the plumbing and mechanical trades and provide individuals who pass with the credentials needed to attain a license from licensing bodies throughout the state. Although licensure is not guaranteed, passing an IAPMO exam provides individuals with a third-party verification of their competence that satisfies the state requirement. 

For more information regarding IAPMO exams in your area in Kansas, please contact or call 708-995-3005.


MABCD sponsors the following exams administered by Prometric:

Candidates wishing to take any of the exams listed above must complete the appropriate application and submit to MABCD for approval. Please allow 14 business days for processing.

Continuing Education

Effective November 1, 2015 Prometric exams are given based on the 2014 National Elictrical Code and 2015 International Codes.

The MABCD accepts Electrical classes approved by the Kansas Electrical Education Review Committee. Vendors use this application to submit a class for review and approval.

Application for Electrical Continuing Education

The MABCD will accept Mechanical and Plumbing classes approved by the Kansas Mechanical Trades Review Board. For a list of approved classes, click on the link below and then the link to "Continuing Education Calendar".

Kansas Mechanical Trades Review Board

If you would like to submit a class for review and approval for continuing education to the MABCD instead of the Kansas Mechanical Trades Review Board.

Application for HVAC and Plumbing Continuing Education

ATTENTION: Starting January 1, 2010 not less than 6 hours every 2 years, or 3 hours every year shall consist of training on code related to Electrical, HVAC, or Plumbing code.

The MABCD is on a 2-year renewal cycle on certificates and all certificates expire December 31st of each odd-number year. When you renew your certificate, you will have to provide information on the class(es) you attended to show 12 hours of continuing education related to your specific trade, 6 hours of which will have to be on code related to your specific trade.

Continuing Education for Electrical

The Electrical Education Review Committee was appointed, with cooperation from several of the jurisdictions, to review classes that will be approved to provide the required continuing education. We are making every effort possible to have the classes listed here approved by all of the surrounding jurisdictions.

Continuing education must be provided by the local governing body, a nationally recognized trade association, community college, technical school, technical college or other provider approved by the local governing body. Classes shall consist of training relative to electrical construction, safety, maintenance or code update. Below are links to the submittal forms to submit a class to the Electrical Education Review Committee.

Continuing Education for Mechanical & Plumbing

The classes posted on this website are in addition to the classes listed on the Kansas Mechanical Trades Review Board (see link above). MABCD is not affiliated with the sponsors nor do we have any information on the classes other than what is posted here. Be sure to check back often as more classes are continually added.

The State of Kansas requires 12 classroom hours of continuing education every 2 years or 6 classroom hours every year to renew your Master, Journeyman or Residential Wireman license or certificate.