Wastewater Permits in the Unincorporated County

Download a fact sheet about wastewater and water wells.

Three Types of Wastewater Systems in Sedgwick County:

The required soil testing, soil survey, and groundwater depth information will determine the type of system to be installed, as well as construction standards for that system. Each system is designed not only to dispose of wastewater but to treat it in order to protect the natural resources of Sedgwick County.

Septic Systems

Septic Systems are typically installed in areas where the soil is generally sandy. A passing percolation rate of 0-60 minutes/inch is required to install a septic system. In cases where there are environmental concerns a higher level of treatment may be required.


Lagoons are constructed on lots with soils with higher clay content. A failing percolation rate of 60+ minutes/inch indicates lagoon soils. The minimum lot size for lagoon installation is five acres with a minimum width of 250’. On some older platted additions with lots less than five acres and soils better suited for lagoons, a septic system or alternative will be required.

Alternative Advanced Treatment Systems

Alternative Advanced Treatment Systems are systems that treat the wastewater to a higher quality, and it is then dispersed into the soil for final treatment and disposal. The typical dispersal method will be some type of pressurized distribution. These systems may be required in all types of soils due to environmental issues.

Find Advanced Wastewater Installers and Service Providers in Sedgwick County

Wastewater Permits

If the property has been platted, much of this information will be on file. However if it is unplatted acreage, you will need to determine the status of that property before a wastewater permit can be issued. There are many questions to be answered:

Homeowners may not pull a wastewater permit; a licensed wastewater installer must pull the wastewater permit. All wastewater systems must be installed by a licensed wastewater installer.

Properties that are located within 400 feet of public sewer are required to hook up to these services. If this is not feasible then a variance may be required to obtain a permit for an on-site wastewater system.

If sewer is not available, a permit for an on-site wastewater system must be obtained from MABCD. This includes permits for reconstruction or replacement of existing systems. For new construction, a wastewater permit must be obtained before MABCD will issue a building permit.

Cities and businesses that release wastewater to any surface water must obtain a permit from the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

Soil Testing

Sedgwick County requires soil testing to be completed for all parcels of land for new construction. Soil testing that may be required are boreholes, soil profiles, and percolation testing. This testing is to be performed by a professional, experienced in these testing procedures. In order to obtain a list of approved professionals please contact this office. All soil testing is to be done in the area proposed for the on-site wastewater system. & outside of all floodplains and easements.

A homeowner may apply for a waiver from these requirements if they feel that adequate testing has been completed on the property around them. Contact MABCD for specifics. For platted properties the soil testing is typically complete and the type of wastewater system for each lot is already determined. In some cases additional testing may be required. This information is then used to determine the construction standards for the wastewater system

For more information, contact the Metropolitan Area Building and Construction Department at (316) 660-1840.