In Memoriam

In Memoriam

This page is dedicated to the deputies of the Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office in the state of Kansas, U.S.A. who made the supreme sacrifice in service to and protection of our community. Visitors may leave reflections for each officer on the Officer Down Memorial Page.

Deputy Carlos B. King

End of Watch: September 23, 1871


Deputy Sheriff Carlos King was shot and killed in modern-day Harvey County. Deputy King had disarmed one Thomas Edwards for disturbing the peace, and had run him out of town. Edwards re-armed himself and returned to town, shooting and killing Deputy King. Although Harvey County was not organized until February 29, 1872, it is likely that a deputy sheriff was in the county. Although specific sources have not been located, it is possible, based upon similar situations, that King was sent from Sedgwick County. Sedgwick County had the judicial and administrative responsibility for Harvey County prior to and at the time of its organization. It is more likely that King was a deputy sheriff rather than a city police officer.

Deputy Frank Hill Deputy Frank Hill

End of Watch: August 16, 1927


Sedgwick County Deputy Sheriff Frank Hill was shot and killed during an attempted jail break by three inmates. The inmates were using a revolver that had been smuggled into the jail. The escape was blocked by a jail trustee and jail cook. All three inmates were kept in custody and charged with first degree murder and other charges. Deputy Hill had been employed with the Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office for one year.

Detective Roy Vance Johnson Detective Roy Vance Johnson

End of Watch: October 31, 1974


Sedgwick County Sheriff Detective Roy Vance Johnson was shot and killed while attempting to apprehend an escaped prisoner who had shot and wounded a Wichita detective. Two other deputies were also shot and wounded during the arrest. The suspect escaped the scene but was eventually caught and sentenced to life in prison. Detective Johnson had been with the agency for three years and was survived by his wife and children.

Detective Terry Wayne McNett Detective Terry Wayne McNett

End of Watch: February 3, 1988


Sedgwick County Sheriff Detective Terry Wayne McNett was shot and killed while participating in the execution of a search warrant in Wichita, Kansas. He was assigned to a Drug Enforcement Administration Task Force at the time of his death. Detective McNett was survived by his wife, daughter and son.

Deputy Sheriff Christopher C. Willems Deputy Christopher C. Willems

End of Watch: May 12, 1991


Sedgwick County Sheriff Deputy Christopher C. Willems was shot and killed while conducting a traffic stop. While questioning the three occupants he grew suspicious of one of them. The man, who had an outstanding warrant, had given Deputy Willems his brother's name. Deputy Willems was granted permission to search the van and he located a small amount of marijuana. As he placed the suspect under arrest a struggle ensued. During the struggle one of the other men grabbed a .357 caliber revolver from the van and shot Deputy Willems in the leg and then in the head, killing him. The suspect who had struggled with Deputy Willems and the one who shot him were both convicted of his murder and sent to prison. The third suspect, who had run from the scene prior to the shooting, was not charged. Deputy Willems had served with the Sedgwick County Sheriff's Department for 7.5 years. He was survived by his wife and two daughters.

Deputy Sheriff Kevin S. Easter Deputy Kevin S. Easter

End of Watch: January 8, 1996


Sedgwick County Sheriff Deputy Kevin S. Easter was shot and killed during a vehicle stop where the driver had initially refused to yield. Wichita police officers backing up Deputy Easter found all the juveniles next to the car with one of them suffering a bullet wound in the leg. All of the juveniles were arrested and a search for Deputy Easter was commenced. Deputy Easter was found suffering from a gunshot wound and later died during surgery. Deputy Easter had served with the Sedgwick County Sheriff's Department for 2 years. The shooter was 14 years old and sentenced to 55 years in prison.

Sergeant Kenneth Eugene Snider Sergeant Kenneth Eugene Snider

End of Watch: April 18, 1997


Sedgwick County Sheriff Sergeant Kenneth Eugene Snider was killed after being stabbed at a domestic disturbance. Sergeant Snider and three other deputies had responded to the call and were assessing what was happening when the suspect ran through the house. All the deputies followed and a struggle ensued by the back door. Within a matter of seconds the suspect pulled a knife and stabbed Sergeant Snider in the back, severing a major artery. He attempted to stab the other deputies but was subdued. Sergeant Snider was pronounced dead upon arrival at a local hospital. The suspect had a history of mental illness and was well known to police. He had been arrested in the past for battery on a law enforcement officer and was on parole at the time of the attack. In August 1998, the suspect died during a struggle with detention deputies at the Sedgwick County Detention Facility while incarcerated during his trial. Deputy Snider had served with the Sedgwick County Sheriff's Department for 20 years.

Deputy Brian S. Etheridge

End of Watch: September 28, 2009


Sedgwick County Sheriff's Deputy Brian Etheridge died from gunshot wounds received when he was responding to a larceny report. Deputy Etheridge was shot twice after arriving at a house on south Rock Road where the larceny was reported. He was transported to Wesley Medical Center and underwent surgery, but he succumbed to his wounds a few hours after he was shot. The suspect, a 27-year-old male, was spotted in a field about a quarter-mile from the shooting and was wounded as he exchanged gunfire with law enforcement officers. He also died from his wounds. Deputy Etheridge had served with the Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office for 18 months.

 Deputy Robert Kunze III

End of Watch: September 16,2018


Deputy Sheriff Robert Kunze was shot and killed while investigating a suspicious person call in a rural area near the intersection of North 295th Street West and West 21st Street North.  He arrived at the scene and made contact with a male subject in a stolen vehicle. During the encounter he and the subject exchanged shots and both were fatally shot. Deputy Kunze's backup officer arrived at the scene and located Deputy Kunze suffering from a gunshot wound.  Deputy Kunze had served with the Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office for 12 years and had previously served with the Shawnee County Sheriff's Office for six years.