Sedgwick County...working for you


Addressing the BOCC

If you would like to address the Board of Sedgwick County Commissioners during an official meeting, please provide your request in writing to the Sedgwick County Manager's Office at least nine days prior to the meeting date. You can email your request to or fax it to 316-383-7946. If you have any questions, you may also call the manager's office at 316-660-9386. Your written request should include the following:

  • Speaker's name, address and phone number
  • Preferred agenda date (remember to allow at least nine days notice)
  • Topic of discussion

If you wish to speak during a public hearing, you will be asked to provide your name, phone number and address at the meeting.  If you wish to speak about an agenda item that is not a public hearing, please contact your county commissioner. 


If you would like to submit a request for a proclamation, contact the Communications and Community Initiatives Office at 660-9370.  Be prepared to submit a letter of request and the proclamation.  Read a sample proclamation.


In fulfilling its legislative responsibilities, the Board of Sedgwick County Commissioners considers resolutions, which are equivalent to “bills” in the United States Congress and the Kansas Legislature and to ordinances considered by municipal governing councils. A resolution generally originates at the request of a commissioner, another elected official, the county manager or a department director.  Resolutions are drafted by the Sedgwick County Counselor’s Office.

Before voting on a proposed resolution, it is discussed by the board at the meeting. Any citizen may appear before the board to speak, up to five minutes, either in favor of or in opposition to the resolution. Following discussion, the board votes on the resolution.  Adoption of an ORDINARY resolution requires a majority (three or more) “yes” votes from the board.  Resolutions become effective on passage or upon publication, if required.

If there is a state law on a subject that applies to a particular county, but the law does not apply to all counties uniformly, a CHARTER resolution is necessary in dealing with that subject. A charter resolution requires four “yes” votes and is subject to a protest petition.  If a protest petition is filed, then the matter must go before a vote of the people

Sedgwick County...working for you

Mission: To assure quality public services that provide for the present and future well-being of the citizens of Sedgwick County.