If you have a lagoon or septic system on your property, it is important to monitor it to be sure it is operating properly.
How to Maintain a Septic System
Conserve Water - This is the best thing someone can do to maintain a septic system.
- Repair leaks - dripping faucets and leaky valves
- Spread out water usage over the day
- Install water conservation fixtures
- Try to spread laundry out over the week
Do not put these items down the drain:
- Egg shells/coffee grounds
- Kitty litter
- Waste chemicals/paints
- Divert downspouts and rainwater from drain field
- Do not park vehicles on drain field
Pump Septic Tank
- Use a pump based on size of tank and number of people in household. Pumping every three years MAY help.
- When tank is pumped, replace baffles with sanitary tees if needed.
For further technical information about on-site wastewater systems, contact the Metropolitan Area Building and Construction Department, 660-1840.
For information about funds available for repairing or replacing failed systems, contact Sedgwick County Conservation District, 660-7289.