January 16, 2018
This Week in Sedgwick County
Board of County Commissioners
- Commissioners adopted a proclamation declaring January 21, 2019 as Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
- Chairman Dennis presented his 2018 Chairman’s Award to Wichita Public School’s JROTC/ Leadership Corps.
- There was a public hearing related to the adoption of the safety standard for platform lifts and stairway chairlifts. Commissioners adopted the resolution.
- Commissioners approved an addition to the 2019 Legislative Platform.
- Support legislation allowing Sedgwick County, as an urban area, the power to abate nuisance properties in a manner consistent with constitutional due process.
- County Treasurer Linda Kizzire gave a presentation regarding a property tax pre-payment program.
- This program is free for qualifying customers.
- Customers can make 10 monthly installment payments (from January through October) and any remaining balance will be due by December.
- Commissioners approved item 3 of the December 6, 2018 Bid Board.
- This is to purchase storage media and storage devices with more security features.
- Commissioners selected Commissioner David Dennis to serve as Chairman through January 8, 2020.
- Commissioners selected Commissioner Pete Meitzner to serve as Chair Pro Tem through January 8, 2020.
- Cheer on the Wichita Thunder on Friday, January 18, at INTRUST Bank Arena. Tickets and details can be found at www.intrustbankarena.com.
- License to Spy, the latest travelling exhibit at Exploration Place, opens Saturday, January 19.
- County offices will be closed on Monday, January 21 in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
The next Board of County Commissioner meeting will be at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, January 30. There will not be a meeting on Wednesday, January 23.