November 6, 2019
This Week in Sedgwick County
Board of County Commissioners
- Commissioners approved an expansion and boundary modification to the Union Station TIF District.
- The original Union Station TIF District was approved in 2014.
- Generally, a TIF District is a financing tool which allows governments to pay for infrastructure improvements, paid for through taxes captured from new development.
- A Resolution related to General Obligation (GO) Bonds was adopted.
- Bond proceeds will add $9,770,000 of new debt to the County’s balance of outstanding GO bond debt, increasing the total to roughly $57 million.
- The new debt will carry a 2.19 percent interest rate.
- The revenue will provide funds to permanently finance the costs of public improvements previously authorized by Commissioners: improvements to the Adult Detention Facility and four bridge projects.
- Commissioners received the third quarter financial report for Sedgwick County.
- Sedgwick County is in sound financial condition which was reaffirmed by the AAA credit rating from S&P.
- Revenues continue to grow. Assessed value increased 3.9 percent for the 2019 budget and 4.5 percent for the 2020 budget; there is modest growth in retail and motor vehicle taxes.
- Demand for diverse but connected services increased specifically in public safety and behavioral health needs.
- Item J, related to the Risk Management budget authority, was discussed and approved.
- The request was to increase the budget authority in this fund from $200,000 to $450,000 in 2019.
- This is due to a jury verdict against Sedgwick County and a deductible to restore damaged roofs at the Sedgwick County Zoo.
- Following an executive session, Commissioners approved a payment of $37,500 to a person bit by a Sheriff K-9 in 2017.
- Witness the 25th Anniversary JROTC Leadership Program Ceremony at 10 a.m. Thursday, November 7, at Century II.
- Take in the Veterans Day parade at 11 a.m. Saturday, November 9, through downtown Wichita (ending at WaterWalk).
- Cheer on the Wichita Thunder at INTRUST Bank Arena this weekend. Tickets and match details can be found here: intrustbankarena.com.
- Make and take home your own gingerbread house this weekend at Exploration Place. Learn more about Gingerbread Village at explorationplace.org.
- To show its appreciation, Sedgwick County Zoo is offering complimentary admission to all military personnel and their immediate families on Veterans Day, Monday, November 11, learn more here: scz.org.
- County offices will be closed on Veterans Day, Monday, November 11.
- There will not be a Board of County Commissioners meeting on Wednesday, November 13.