July 17, 2019
This Week in Sedgwick County
Board of County Commissioners Meeting
- Commissioners sent back a conditional use permit for a group home for foster children in District 2 back to the Metropolitan Area Planning Commission (MAPC) for additional consideration given to the Golden Rules.
- The case was last heard at the Metropolitan Area Planning Commission meeting June 7, 2019.
- A zone change from Rural Residential to General Commercial in District 4 was approved.
- This is related to an existing commercial warehouse for self-storage.
- Commissioners approved a Resolution for the condemnation of certain real property to construct a bridge in District 2.
- Commissioners extended the moratorium for commercial wind and solar zoning applications through November 10, 2019.
- The Suicide Prevention Coalition received a donation of $675 and COMCARE’s Community Crisis Center received a donation of $500.
- The Participating Community Mental Health Center Contract for COMCARE was approved.
- A total of $8.1 million was received from Kansas Department of Aging and Disability Services (KDADS).
- The County Manager presented the 2020 Recommended Budget.
- It totals $457,422,200 split between Sedgwick County ($437,312,854) and Sedgwick County Fire District 1 ($20,109,346).
- There will be two public hearings (9 a.m., Wednesday, July 24 and 6 p.m., Monday, August 5) in addition to an online forum at sedgwickcounty.org.
- Focus is given to behavioral health needs while maintaining and improving public safety needs.
- The Recommended Budget also factors in market competitive employee compensation, training, health care costs, and overall work environment.
- Commissioners authorized the publication of the maximum property tax levy to fund the 2020 budget and establish public budget hearing dates.
- The publication includes a total expenditure of $437,312,854, with a total property tax levy of $149,196,923.
- There will be two public hearings (July 24 and August 5).
- Item 2 of the July 3 Board of Bids and Contracts related to on-call architectural and engineering services was approved.
- Item 5 of the July 3 Board of Bids and Contracts related to Sheriff pursuit vehicles was approved.
- Mark your calendar for Wingapalooza 2019 Saturday, July 20, at INTRUST Bank Arena. More events and details can be found here www.intrustbankarena.com.
- Adults age 21 and older can sip some science from 5:30 to 9 p.m. at Exploration Place’s EP21 event Saturday, July 20. Details can be found at www.exploration.org.
- On Saturday, July 20, celebrate the Farms at Sedgwick County Zoo by participating in some old-fashioned county fair activities. More details are available at www.scz.org.