Metropolitan Area Building and Construction Department
MABCD Permitting & Licensing Office open for appointments on March 1, 2021.
Mission: The Metropolitan Area Building and Construction Department (MABCD) is to serve the citizens of Sedgwick County by ensuring compliance with all adopted County and City of Wichita codes by providing effective public contact and education, building cooperative partnerships throughout our community, and enforcing the law in an equitable and impartial manner to protect the health, safety, and welfare of all property owners, residents, tenants, businesses and visitors.
Trades Contractor License Renewal - Your license expires December 31, 2021
Forms for renewals will be mailed out to license and certificate holders who have either an ‘active’ or ‘inactive’ status. Those with an ‘expired’ or ‘void’ status will not receive a renewal reminder.
- Please submit complete renewal packets. Partial packets will be returned to the applicant.
MABCD staff cannot be responsible for holding paperwork for incomplete submissions.
- If you do not receive a packet, please visit our licensing page to download forms.
- Payments made by check or money order must reference the license and/or certificate number(s) for proper processing.
- Trade Licenses can be renewed via mail OR appointments for in-person renewals.
- Certificate can be renewed via mail, appointments for in-person renewals or "Walk-In Thursdays. (see restrictions below)
- Please do not wait. Your license expires December 31 and you will not be able to take out permits, schedule inspection, or pay for permits with an expired license.
With more than 3,000 trade certificates expiring on December 31, 2021, MABCD will hold walk-in hours for renewal of trade certificates. These will be on Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. – 4:45 p.m., starting on September 1.
This is for CERTIFICATE RENEWAL ONLY
Because of continued health concerns, MABCD will need to prevent overcrowding of the reception area and lobby.
The lobby limit is eight (8) visitors. Please do not bring guests with you.
A waiting list will be created to hold your place in line when the lobby reaches capacity.
You will be called or texted when a seat becomes available in the lobby. You will not lose your place in line, but your seat will only be held for five (5) minutes.
Please remember, you can use our appointment system in order to make your time more efficient.
If you've been affected by severe weather and need roof repairs, don't forget to verify that your roofer is registered with the State of Kansas and licensed with MABCD (316-660-1840)
MABCD Permit Flow
MABCD Strategic Goals
The MABCD strategic goals are in alignment with the Sedgwick County strategic priorities.
- Ensure all community buildings and homes are soundly constructed according to national code standards to provide safety and health for occupants.
- Accomplish Sedgwick County priority 1 – Ensuring highest priority use of resources is dedicated to create safe and secure communities.
- Accomplish Sedgwick County priority 4 – Providing quality public services to the community while being good stewards of revenue and funds.