Do I Need a Permit?

Has your electricity been off for 6 months or longer and need an electrical inspection to get service restored? Download the application.

Thinking of doing the work yourself?

It's your home, why not do the work yourself? You need to ask a few questions and get informed before tackling those 'honey-dos.'

What can I do without a permit?

If it was there before, then you can repair or replace such things as paint, wallpaper, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops, paneling and similar finish work. New construction including additions and changes require a permit. Don't hesitate to call us - (316) 660-1840. We can help you navigate through the process. You can also look at Sec. 2.4.020 for detailed information regarding required permits and other residential code.

Okay, so I need a permit. How do I get one?

On-Line (Full instructions here.)

In-Person - (By Appointment Only) - book your appointment here

Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Location: 271 W. 3rd St. N. 1st floor - Suite 101.
Parking is free. The parking lot entrance is off of 3rd street and MABCD is located just south of Wichita City Hall.

Plan on staying for an hour so that MABCD staff can get you all the information you will need with clear steps on how to proceed.

What approval or permission do I need before doing the work?

Here is a helpful hint on what homeowners can do to homes that they own and is their primary residence. Remember - you MUST obtain a permit and get your work inspected.

MABCD requires homeowners to pass exams at a 75% satisfaction level before you can do:

Electrical –
3-hour open book
Exam must be started before 1 p.m.
Book – 2017 National Electrical Code Book
Multiple Choice - 50 Questions
$50 – to take the test (includes a plan review)
75% for passing
Plumbing -
Unlimited time
Exam must be started before 1 p.m.
Book = 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code Book
Multiple Choice - 30 Questions
$25 – to take the test
75% for passing
Water Heater -
Unlimited time
Exam must be started before 1 p.m.
Book = 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code Book & a handout
Multiple Choice - 20 Questions
$25 – to take the test
75% for passing

Mechanical –
*Must contact Mechanical Chief – (316) 660-1829

*** REMEMBER! You must get a permit. After getting the permit, you are responsible for scheduling and passing all inspections. ***

What are my responsibilities if I do this myself?

You may have the same responsibilities and liability as a licensed contractor. Also, you may be legally accountable to any debtors, such as your mortgage company, for detrimental changes you make to your home.

Some associated liabilities befalling you can include: