Bivalent Boosters for Ages 5-11 Now Available
A shipment of bivalent boosters for children ages 5–11 has arrived at Sedgwick County Health Department (SCHD). Updated shots for this age group are now available at SCHD mobile vaccine clinics and by appointment at SCHD's W. Central Clinic.
Under the Bivalent Booster Recommendations, Children:
- Must be 5 years or older for Pfizer-BioNTech, 6 years or older for Moderna.
- Must have completed at least a primary series of COVID-19 vaccinations using any approved vaccine.
- Must have received the last COVID-19 shot at least two months ago. The last shot could be a primary series dose or an earlier booster.
- May mix and match (i.e., choose a different manufacturer’s booster from previously received doses).
- Can wait three months after recovery from COVID-19 infection.
Bivalent COVID-19 boosters provide added protection against serious illness and hospitalization by targeting the original coronavirus and the Omicron BA.4 and BA.5 variants. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, COVID-19 has caused thousands of hospital stays and over 1,700 deaths of children under 18.
COVID-19 vaccine is also available at medical provider offices and other locations around Sedgwick County: Vaccine Clinic Locations | Sedgwick County, Kansas