Enforcing Sedgwick County Code

The Animal Control Department enforces Sedgwick County codes on the housing and care of animals, and ensures that animals and their remains do not pose a health or safety hazard to county residents. The enforcement activities include returning stray dogs to their owners, returning loose cattle to fenced pastures, investigating animal cruelty or violations of dangerous animal laws, and removing deer carcasses from county rights-of-way.

Get a Dog License and Vaccinations for Your Pets

All dogs and cats owned by residents who live in the unincorporated areas of Sedgwick County must be vaccinated and dogs must wear a tag indicating compliance with the county's animal code.  Residents can obtain a dog license in on of the three ways listed below:

  1. Obtaining a Sedgwick County Dog License from a Veterinarian
    • Complete the information below on the Sedgwick County dog license form at the veterinarian’s office. 
      1. The dog's physical description;
      2. The date that the rabies vaccination was given as it appears on the vaccination certificate;
      3. The metallic vaccination tag number;
      4. The owner's name, address and telephone number;
    • Your veterinarian can take the payment for your dog’s license and send your information to Sedgwick County Animal Control to be processed.

    • Your veterinarian may choose to send the license home with you. If you receive the license, mail a copy of the provided license form and appropriate payment amount to: 
      Sedgwick County Animal Control
      1015 W. Stillwell
      Wichita, KS 67213            
  2. Obtaining a Sedgwick County Dog License from Sedgwick County Animal Control 
    • You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader to fill out the form online or you will have to print/mail to the address below. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can click on the link  below.
    • Click the link below to the online Sedgwick County Animal Control Dog License Application Form and follow the provided directions.
    • If you mail payment, make the check or money order payable to S.C.A.C.
      Sedgwick County Animal Control also accepts payment via debit and credit card (through phone call or in-person only).
      If you are not able to submit the form online or through the mail you can contact Sedgwick County Animal Control directly for more assistance at (316) 660-7070 or you can reach us by email at              
  3. Licensing of dogs previously determined, declared or adjudged dangerous or vicious.
    • The owner of any dog which has previously been determined, declared, or adjudged dangerous or vicious by the director or by any other authorized person in another jurisdiction as provided in section 5-162 of the Sedgwick County code shall be required to obtain the animal's license directly from Animal Control (USING THE FILLABLE DOG LICENSE APPLICATION ABOVE) and cannot purchase a license from a veterinarian. In addition, the owner shall be required to provide at the time of making application for such license either:
      1. Proof of homeowner's, renter's or other insurance acknowledging the ownership of a dangerous or vicious animal and demonstrating that such animal's subsequent acts are insured by such policy and with such policy listing the Sedgwick County Animal Control Department as an entity to be notified ten (10) days in advance if the policy is cancelled for any reason; or
      2. A surety bond in the amount of three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000.00) written to cover any acts of such animal, which bond shall list the Sedgwick County Animal Control Department as an entity to be notified ten (10) days in advance if the surety bond is cancelled for any reason.

Sedgwick County Dog License Fees

1 year license (neutered/spayed) $12.00
1 year license (un-neutered/un-spayed) $22.00
3 year license (neutered/spayed) $36.00
3 year license (un-neutered/un-spayed) $66.00
Dangerous Dog license (1 Year) $100.00


Report an Animal Bite

If you have been bitten by any mammal, domestic or wild, rabies could be a concern. Fill out this Bite Report Form and use the “submit form” button at the top of the page to send to Sedgwick County Animal Control. Alternatively, you can contact Sedgwick County Animal Control in person at 1015 Stillwell, Wichita, 67213; by phone at (316) 660-7070; by fax at (316) 383-7553; or via email at

Find Your Pet or Adopt a New One

Sedgwick County Animal Control works in conjunction with the city of Wichita and Kansas Humane Society to connect owners to their lost pets, as well as help residents find new furry additions to their families.