Media Advisory for Election Day Nov. 8
(Sedgwick County, Kan.) – Election Day for the 2022 general election is tomorrow in Sedgwick County, Kansas. 81 polling locations will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Voters can find their polling place and view their sample ballot at https://myvoteinfo.voteks.org/.
When polling places close on Tuesday, the Election Office will begin the process of reporting unofficial results for the election.
How many votes have been cast so far?
Through Monday, Nov. 7, more than 50,000 registered have cast early ballots at the advance voting locations available in Sedgwick County.
Over 34,000 advance ballots were mailed to voters who applied to vote by mail. So far, over 22,000 ballots have been returned. Advance by-mail ballots need to be returned by Tuesday at 7 p.m. or postmarked by Nov. 8 and received in our office through the mail by Monday, Nov. 14.
Election Day Media Coverage
While the media are allowed to report any polling location, the following sites are prepared for media personnel on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2022, for the General Election:
- Grace Presbyterian Church – 5002 E. Douglas Ave., Wichita
- Machinists Building – 3830 S. Meridian Ave., Wichita
- Calvary Baptist Church – 1636 E. Patriot Ave., Derby
Please be mindful not to disrupt citizens striving to vote. If you wish to obtain footage inside the polling location, please check in with the Supervising Judge dedicated to each site.
No voting will occur at the Election Office on Election Day. Sedgwick County Election Commissioner Angela Caudillo will be available for media interviews at the following times & locations:
- 7 a.m.: Heart of Christ – 856 S. Green St., Wichita
- 11 a.m.: Maize Recreation Commission – 10100 Grady Ave, Maize
- 3:30 p.m.: Life.Church West Wichita – 3210 N. Maize Rd., Wichita
Election Night Media Coverage
An Election Office collaboration room will be available from 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. on the 3rd floor of the Sedgwick County Historic Courthouse, 510 N. Main, for the media to gather to await results.
When will results be available?
As votes cast at Election Day polling places are returned to the Election Office and tabulated, the unofficial results will be updated periodically until all precincts are reporting. The first unofficial results will include votes cast at the Election Office’s 17 advance voting locations and mail ballots returned to the Election Office by Election Day.
When unofficial results are available, they will be released to these sites in the following order:
- Sedgwick County Election Office website - https://www.sedgwickcounty.org/elections/election-results/
- Sedgwick County social media accounts - Twitter - @SedgwickCounty & Facebook - SedgwickCounty
When all votes from Election Day polling places have been returned, tabulated and released, the Election Office will close until 8 a.m. on Wednesday. Election Office staff will be unable to respond to media requests during that time.
In the event of close contests, please keep these two important things in mind:
- The results are unofficial. There will be votes to count after Election Day, including additional mail ballots and provisional ballots. Those ballots could make the difference in close races. The results will not be official until the election canvass is held on Nov. 18.
- There are no automatic recounts in Sedgwick County. Candidates will be able to request recounts at the conclusion of the canvass for the election.
What ballots are left to count after Election Day?
Kansas law allows mail ballots postmarked on Election Day to be counted through Monday, Nov. 14, due to the federal holiday on Nov. 11. Mail ballots can also be returned to ballot boxes or polling places until 7 p.m. on Election Day. Those ballots will be counted after Election Day.
Additional updates to the unofficial results will be released Wednesday, Thursday & Friday before 5 p.m.
Provisional ballots will be reviewed and counted at the canvass for the election, which begins on Friday, Nov. 18 at 9 a.m. at the Election Office. The results will be certified when the canvass reconvenes at a time determined at canvass. Media and the public are welcome to attend the canvass. Official final results will be released after the canvass.