Electrical, & Alarm Division
The Electrical Section is responsible for the inspection of Residential & Commercial Systems to ensure and maintain compliance with applicable regulatory guidance governing electrical systems and equipment. The electrical section responsibilities are:
- Perform inspections in the course of construction, alteration and repair for compliance with all applicable/adopted codes and safety standards.
- Ensures compliance with plan design as previously submitted and approved.
- Communicate code information and/or references to validate inspection results.
- Monitors permits and ensures that applicable inspections are scheduled and performed.
- Investigates complaints, reported safety issues and potential code violations.
Latest News & Updates
Current Adopted Code, Resolutions / Ordinances
Forms, Applications and Permits
- Master or Journeyman Trade Certificate Application
- Trade Contractors Business License Application
- Burglar or Fire Alarm License Application
- Alarm Systems Technician Exam Application
- Temporary Certificate of Occupancy Form
- Application for Variance Review
- Electrical Permit Application
- PV System (Solar) Permit Application
- PV System Expedited Permit Application
- Fire Alarm Permit Application
Trades Certification Renewals start September 1, 2023, for Electricians, Elevator Mechanics, and Alarm Technicians. Please remember to provide proper documentation to staff when renewing your trades certificates. This includes the original CEU's certificate provided by the CEU provider and obtained during the previous cycle. Only those classes that are listed on our web page have been approved for use as required CEU's by the KEERC (Kansas Electrical Continuing Education Review Committee).
MABCD is on a 2-year renewal cycle on certificates and all certificates expire December 31 of each odd-number year. When you renew your certificate, you will have to provide information on the class(es) you attended to show 12 hours of continuing education related to your specific trade, 6 hours of which will have to be on code related to your specific trade.
Electrical Continuing Education
Electrical Classes Approved by KEERC (Kansas Electrical Education Review Committee):
MABCD accepts Electrical classes approved by the Kansas Electrical Education Review Committee. All classes beginning January 1, 2021, shall be based on the 2020 NEC as adopted. The Review Committee was appointed, with cooperation from several of the jurisdictions, to review classes that will be approved to provide the required continuing education. We are making every effort possible to have the classes listed here approved by all of the surrounding jurisdictions.
Continuing education must be provided by the local governing body, a nationally recognized trade association, community college, technical school, technical college or other provider approved by the local governing body. Classes shall consist of training relative to electrical construction, safety, maintenance or code update. See the "Electrical Classes" link above to view the latest approved class listings. Follow the link below for the submittal form to submit a class to the Electrical Education Review Committee.
Board of Electrical Appeals Information
Board of Electrical Appeals Meets the Second Tuesday of every month at 3 p.m., 3rd Floor Large Training Room #318, 271 W. 3rd St. N., Wichita, KS, 67202
For inquiries or requests to appear before the Board of Electrical Appeals contact. email@example.com