Blue-Green Algae Warning To Prohibit Swimming During Dam Jam Music Festival July 21-22
(Sedgwick County, Kan.) – With thousands of campers expected at Lake Afton for The Dam Jam Music Festival Friday and Saturday, July 21-22, 2023, please be aware that a blue-green algae warning prohibits swimming and other contact with the water. Sedgwick County encourages anyone who plans to attend and/or knows someone going to the event to share this information so participants at The Dam Jam Music Festival stay informed and healthy.
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) issues a blue-green algae warning when there is a harmful algal bloom that is expected or now present. Here is what the public needs to know:
Signage should be posted at all public access locations.
- Water is unsafe for humans and animals.
- Avoid all contact with water.
- Inhalation of spray or aerosols may be harmful.
- Do not let pets eat dried algae or drink contaminated water.
- If fish are caught, clean well with potable water and eat fillet portion only.
To check the status of a Kansas lake or to learn more about the health risks of harmful algal blooms, visit:
More information on The Dam Jam Music Festival can be found at The Dam Jam Music Festival – The biggest lake party in Kansas.