Calculate Auto Registration Fees and Property Taxes

Registration: To calculate registration, click on the description of the vehicle you are registering below and look at the corresponding chart.

Connect the first letter of your last name with the month you purchased your vehicle (example: if the first letter of your last name is B and you purchased the vehicle in September, your registration fee is $21.00).

Title and Tag Fee is $10.50.

Modernization Fee is $4.00.

Property Tax: For your property tax amount, use our Motor Vehicle Property Tax Estimator or call (316) 660-9000. This will start with a recording. DO NOT push any buttons and you will get an information operator.

Sales Tax: This will be collected in the tag office if the vehicle was purchased from an individual or out-of-state car dealer. The rate in Sedgwick County is 7.5 percent. There may be additional sales tax based on the city of purchase or residence.

Facility Fee: A $5.00 fee will be applied to each transaction handled at any of the Tag Offices.

Add the fees and taxes together to get your estimate. This is an estimate only, based on the information you have entered.

Additional Information:

  1. If you have sold a similar vehicle and have a current tag to transfer, the fee to transfer is $6.50; a $10.00 title fee; a $1.50 lien holder fee if applicable; plus $5.00 modernization fee which brings the total to $22.00.

    To get the difference in property tax between the old and new vehicles, call 660-9000. Give the operator the year, make and model of the new as well as the old vehicle and tell them you need to know the difference in the taxes.
  2. Names on the title must be exactly the same when you transfer. For example, Sandra Jones was on the old title and the new title reads Sandra and/or Robert Jones. Both parties would need to come into a tag office to do the transaction because we would be adding Robert to an existing registration. Only parents, spouses or children may be added to existing registration.
  3. At least one registered owner's Kansas driver's license number is required on every personal vehicle title application or renewal. Owners of vehicles registered in a business name will be asked to furnish their FEIN number, which will be entered instead of a driver’s license number. Leased vehicle users will be asked for the lessee’s Kansas driver’ license number. This information will not print on your receipt and will be on file only with the Kansas Department of Revenue. We do not retain this information at the county level.
  4. If the old tag is expired, it can only be transferred if it is a personalized tag.
  5. If this is your renewal month, your fees will be the same as a new tag minus the 50¢ plate fee.
  6. The previous vehicle must be sold or traded in to transfer the tag. Even if the vehicle is not running, as long as the title is still in your name, the plate must stay with it.