Vehicle tag renewals are based on the first letter of the registered vehicle owner's last name, as shown on the schedule below.
|Last Name||Last Day to Renew|
|C, D||April 30|
|E, F, G||May 31|
|H, I||June 30|
|J, K, L||July 31|
|M, N, O||August 31|
|P, Q, R||September 30|
|T, V, W||November 30|
|U, X, Y, Z||December 31|
Persons registering for a new vehicle tag or renewing a tag must provide acceptable physical proof of liability insurance for the vehicle being registered. Acceptable physical proof of insurance includes the following:
- An insurance card issued by an insurance company
- A policy of insurance
- A binder of insurance (valid for 30 days)
- A motor carrier identification number issued by the State Corporation Commission
- A certificate of self insurance issued by an insurance commissioner
- A fleet insurance card
- For vehicles used in a driver's education program, a dealership contract and a copy of a motor vehicle liability insurance policy issued to a school district or accredited nonpublic school
If renewing by mail, proof of insurance can be demonstrated by providing a photocopy of any of the items listed above.
The vehicle owner must certify that the applicant has and will maintain during the entire registration period, the required insurance or other financial security required by Kansas law. All documentation must show a beginning and expiration date of coverage and the year, make, and vehicle identification number of the insured vehicle.