1) Main Tag Office located at 2525 W. Douglas, Wichita, Ks. 67213 (a separate entrance located adjacent to the Main Tag Office entrance) At this location, Out-of-State titles, requiring inspection which are "clean", (meaning no branding of any kind), NOT (“Salvage”, “Rebuilt Salvage”, using an affidavit, bill of sale, quiet-titles, or non-highway) are done. Vehicle must fit in inspection parking stall.
2) 1900 E. Tigua (Kechi) HWY 254 and Rock Rd. (316) 337-7418 All Titles* requiring an inspection will be performed at this Kansas Highway Patrol inspection office:
Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
*This does include, but is not limited to, any title, Kansas or Out-of-State, with the branding of “Salvage”, “Rebuilt Salvage”, using an affidavit, bill of sale, quiet-titles, or non-highway.
*Please note: highway patrol cannot do inspections for items that are physically on a trailer, truck bed, etc. The vehicle needing to be inspected needs to be offloaded to receive an inspection. It may be best for the customer to have the vehicle running before going to get an inspection. (they are almost done doing the necessary repairs to be roadworthy or drivable). Non-highway vehicles will still need to be offloaded for the inspection to be done.
Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
2525 W. Douglas
Wichita, KS 67213
Phone: (316) 660-9000
Who needs an inspection?
- Vehicles with "clean" out-of-state titles (Douglas and Kechi)
- Salvage titled vehicles being put back to highway status (Kechi Only)
- Kansas non-highway titled vehicles being put back to highway status (Kechi Only)
- Affidavit titled vehicles (Kechi Only)
- Bill of sale titled vehicles (Kechi Only)
What do I need to bring?
- Vehicle to be inspected.
- Title to the vehicle. ANY OTHER COPIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Valid driver's license.
- $20.00 inspection fee for non-highway, affidavit titled vehicles, bill of sale titled vehicles, $25.00 for salvage title inspection.
- If salvage vehicle, all receipts for major component parts or a photocopy of parts car title. (Kechi Only)
- Proof of insurance will be needed to register the vehicle.
VIN Verification Procedures for Vehicles Outside the State of Kansas
Requirements of Kansas Law
Kansas law requires that before an application for a Kansas title and/or registration can be accepted for a vehicle or trailer currently titled in another jurisdiction, the vehicle and the out-of-state title or ownership document must be inspected to ensure that vehicle identification number shown on the foreign title is genuine and agrees with the identification number on the vehicle or trailer. These procedures allow out-of-state inspections in lieu of a Kansas inspection and issuance of an MVE-1 form when the owner and the vehicle or trailer is out-of-state.
Who qualifies for these procedures?
To qualify for using an out-of-state inspection in lieu of the MVE-1 an individual must meet one of the following requirements:
- A Kansas resident who is on active military duty stationed out of state.
- A Kansas resident who is attending an out-of-state college or school.
- A Kansas resident who is temporarily out of state, such as working on a short-term basis will require Kansas MVE-1 when vehicle is returned to Kansas.
- Any out-of-state title application for Kansas apportioned registration that requires a VIN inspection (MVE-1), and the vehicle is not in Kansas.
- Kansas Out-of-State VIN Verification Form