Consumer Resources

District Attorney Consumer Protection Division 316-660-3700 Deceptive Trade practices and fraud
Air Travel Consumer Complaints 202-366-2220 Air Fare, lost luggage, food sales
Department of Transportation Vehicle Safety Hotline 800-424-9393 Report safety defects and obtain information on child safety seats, crash test results, vehicle safety recalls
Better Business Bureau 316-263-3146 Handles complaints re: area businesses, reports information to consumers and mediates complaints
Charitable Solicitations - Consumer Protection Division 785-296-3751 All persons wishing to collect charitable contribution for non-profit organizations in Kansas must register.
Consumer Credit Counseling Service (local) 316-265-2000 Information on credit problems; sets up informal payment plans
Dental Board 785-296-6400 Complaints re: dentists & dental hygienists in Kansas
Department of Revenue - Director of Motor Vehicles   Call if concerned about medical & vision problems of people with driver's licenses
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations of the National Archives and Records Admin.   Regulations for Consumer Issues
Elder Law 316-265-2252
No cost legal advice for seniors
Federal Communications Commission 888-225-5322 Handles complaints re: wireless communication ( not fraud)
Federal Trade Commission 877-382-4357 Deceptive trade practices restraint of trade, credit practices; non-bank transactions, etc.
Housing and Credit Counseling 800-383-0217 Complaints re: landlord/tenant issues
Insurance Commissioner (State) 800-432-2484
Handles complaints re: insurance agents & companies
Internal Revenue Service 800-829-1040 Answer questions on filing income tax, automated system
Internal Revenue Service - Criminal Investigation Informant Line 800-829-0433 To report income tax fraud ONLY
Internal Revenue Service - Sales Tax Division 316-337-6153 Collects non-paid STATE taxes for businesses and civilians
Internal Revenue Service - Status of Refund 800-829-4477 Federal ONLY
Kansas Attorney General 800-432-2310
Handles complaints outside of Sedgwick or Johnson Counties
Kansas Banking Commissioner 877-387-8523 Handles complaints on Kansas banks ONLY
Kansas Bar Association - Lawyer Referral   1/2 hour consultation for $15, helps located attorney's who practice in specific area of law within State of Kansas
Kansas Board of Agriculture - Weights and Measures   Handles complaints re: gas pumps, grocery scales, department store scanning
Kansas Corporation Commissioner 800-662-0027 Handles complaints re: telephone, natural gas; electric
Kansas Department of Labor 800-292-6333
Handles complaints re: minimum wage, employment of minors, construction & service contract , nonpayment of overtime
Kansas Human Rights Commissioner 785-296-3206 Handles complaints re: discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability or age
Kansas Optometric Association 785-232-0225 Complaints re: optometrists
Legal Aid/Legal Service of Wichita 316-265-9681 Provides legal services to disadvantaged Kansas
Legislative Hotline (State) 800-432-3924 Information on legislation
Manufactured Housing 785-357-5256 Can only mediate if the home is new and still under warranty
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration   Complaints re: vehicles, child safety seats, safety recalls
Office of Comptroller of Currency   Handles complaints on national banks
Pension & Welfare Benefits Administration 816-285-1800 Handles complaints re: private pension plans, health benefits & welfare
U.S. Postal Inspector   Written complaints on mail orders and mail fraud
Real Estate Commissioner 785-296-3411 Realtors in Kansas
Kansas Securities Commission (State) 800-432-2484 Investigates securities fraud
Sedgwick County Dept on Aging 316-660-7298 Information on services
Small Claims Court 316-660-5790 To file claims against a person or business for up to $4000.
State Board of Healing Arts   Handles complaints re: doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors in Kansas
State Board of Mortuary Arts 785-296-3980 Handles complaints re: funeral directors, funeral homes and embalmers
State Board of Pharmacy 785-296-4056 Complaints re: pharmacists, pharmacies and distributors
State Board of Technical Professions 785-296-3053 Complaints re: architects, engineers, landscape architects, land surveyors and geologists
State Department of Credit Unions 785-296-3021 Handles complaints on Credit Unions in Kansas
State Department of Personnel Services   Handles complaints re: employee matters, bad checks from employers, nonpayment of wages, unemployment insurance, job services
State Trooper's Association 800-550-5782
To verify if a telemarketers is working for the Trooper's Association
Wichita Area Builders Assoc. (local) 316-265-4226 Mediates problems with member builders
Wichita Bar Association 316-263-2251 Attorneys in Wichita
Wichita Police Department General 316-268-4221 To file a report