Burn Permits

Burn permits may be obtained online or at any Sedgwick County Fire Station.  Please know your burning address/jurisdiction and choose accordingly.  For questions please contact the Sedgwick County Fire Prevention Division at 316-660-3473.

All commercial businesses must also complete the Open Burn Approval Application Form and mail to the address on the form prior to any open burn.

Kansas Open Burn Regulations

Burning Permits and Restrictions Fact Sheet 2024

Burn Permit Requirements

  1. The applicant is in legal control of the lot or parcel of land as herein described.
  2. Burning will be attended continuously by a competent person of legal age from the time of ignition to the time of extinguishment.
  3. Burning will not be permitted if the wind speed exceeds 15 miles per hour.
  4. a) FOR FIELD FIRES: a fire break (plowed or disked) of at least 20 feet on all sides of the area to be burned shall be provided.
    b) FOR NON-FIELD FIRES: adequate clearance shall be provided from readily combustible materials (example: grass to be mowed) with material(s) to be burned located a minimum of 100 feet from any structure and 10 feet from any property line.
  5. Burning shall not create a smoke nuisance or hazard to neighboring properties or persons. Precautions shall be taken to assure confinement, intensity and size of said burn.
  6. Burning of any heavy smoke-producing material is strictly prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: rubber tires, plastics, roofing, tar paper, old furniture, garbage, cloth or any petroleum base product.
  7. A garden hose or other fire extinguishing equipment must be available at the burn location.
  8. Burning shall be conducted one hour after sunrise to one hour before sunset (except agriculture and other specifically approved fires).
  9. This permit will be in the possession of the person doing the burning, for immediate inspection.
  10. There is no charge for agricultural or open burns.

Agricultural Burns

Open Burns