Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I file for a Homestead and food sales tax refund?
- How do I protest my property tax?
- How do I get information on real estate?
- How do I get a marriage license?
- How do I get a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate?
- How do I register a boat?
- How do I get a fishing license?
- How do I get a hunting license?
- I just started a new business, what do I need to do?
The Sedgwick County Clerk's office will be happy to help you prepare the forms necessary to file for these tax refunds. If you were a resident of Kansas for the entire year AND if you meet one of the following requirements you may be eligible for a Homestead or Food Sales Tax refund:
- you are over age 55 as of January 1 of the year you are filing for;
- were permanently disabled or blind by Social Security for the entire year you are filing for;
- had dependent children under age 18 living with you for the year you are filing for, you may qualify for this refund.
Your total household income must not exceed $34,450.00 for a Homestead refund. Please note the Food Sales Tax refund is no longer available to Kansas residents effective January 1, 2013, refer to K.S.A. 79-32,270(e). Another requirement for a Homestead refund is that you owned and lived in a home that was on the tax rolls for the entire filing year. Your claim for a Homestead refund must be filed by the deadline of April 15 of each year.
Please refer to the County Appraiser's Website
Square foot, lot size, special assessment, change of address, plats, township maps, property identification numbers (PIN) and key numbers, as well as ownership information can all be provided by the Clerk's office in the Real Estate Records Department. That phone number is (316) 660-9200.
You need to talk to the Clerk of the District Court at (316) 660-5787. This is not a function of the Sedgwick County Clerk's Office.
Birth certificate applications are now available in the Clerks Office. You can also call the Kansas Department of Vital Statistics at (785) 296-1400 or download the forms.
You need to bring a bill of sale and the previous owner's registration to the County Clerk's office. It is important to remember that those under the of 16 must now attend a training course before operating a jet ski. For additional information contact the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks at (316) 683-8069 or visit their web site.
Anyone over 16 years of age needs to obtain a Kansas fishing license, available through the County Clerk's office. Kansans over 75 are no longer required to obtain a fishing license.
Hunting licenses are available through the County Clerk. Those born after July 1, 1957 must attend a Hunter Safety course provided by the Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks, (316) 683-8069.
There may be special permits or licenses necessary for your business. In general, all businesses should check the zoning in their area. In addition, it is important to file a personal property rendition with the County Appraiser's office for all business related property. Sales tax questions should be directed to the Kansas Department of Revenue 1-877-526-7738.
Additional resources you may find helpful: