What this means to you, if you are located in a Special Flood Hazard Area anything you do such as build, repair, replace, improve, to name a few, must first have a Floodplain Development permit. If the land is in a Special Flood Hazard Area, you must get permission to do just about anything.

City of Wichita link to municode Ch. 27.06
Sedgwick County link municode Ch. 13


Both sets of regulations state that any development* within the Special Flood Hazard Areas designated on the FEMA FIRM’s must be reviewed and permitted by MABCD.

 *Development- Any man-made change to improved or unimproved real estate, including but not limited to buildings or other structures, mining, dredging, filling, grading, paving, excavation or drilling operations or storage of equipment or materials.

 Floodplain Paper Permit 

There may be additional steps required before an application can be approved, such as;


If you are planning any activity in the mapped floodplains in Wichita or Unincorporated Sedgwick County, call 316-660-1840 for more information about how you will need to comply;

 If you would like to look at the Sedgwick County Floodplain Maps, use this link: https://gismaps.sedgwickcounty.org/mlr/

 For more information on Flood Safety Before, During and After a Flood use this link: flood website link


Technical Guidance on Construction in the Special Flood Hazard Areas: