Metropolitan Area Building and Construction Department
Mission: Ensuring that all residential and commercial structures are properly and safely planned, built, and maintained within Sedgwick County using national best practices while providing fair and equitable rules for the local building industry.
The application for new and renewing general contractor's licenses for 2019-2020 is now available. Remember to include a current copy of your contractor insurance with your application and payment. Completed forms and payments by check or cash may be submitted by mail, fax or in person to MABCD at 271 W. 3rd Street, Suite 101, Wichita, KS 67202, fax (316) 660-1818. Online payments by credit/debit can be made upon request with receipt of the completed application. For more information or questions, please call (316) 660-1840.
Commercial Building Plans may now be submitted electronically through the MABCD Portal. Pursuant to Resolution No. 109-2018, MABCD will continue to accept paper plans with a 10 percent charge added to the plan review fee to allow for processing until December 31, 2018. Beginning January 1, 2019, MABCD will no longer accept paper submission of commercial building plans and plans will only be accepted as ePlans through the MABCD Portal. For more information about the transition, please refer to the ePlans section of our website.
Pursuant to Resolution No. 100-2018, sections of the 2015 International Plumbing Code (IPC), International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC), and International Residential Code (IRC) have been adopted into Article 3 of the Wichita-Sedgwick County Unified Building and Trade Code (UBTC). Please refer to the Resolution to view the exact changes and understand how they may affect your business.
MABCD Strategic Goals
The MABCD strategic goals are in alignment with the Sedgwick County strategic priorities as presented in the 2018 Adopted Budget.
- Ensure all community buildings and homes are soundly constructed according to national code standards to provide safety and health for occupants.
- Accomplish Sedgwick County priority 1 – Ensuring highest priority use of resources is dedicated to create safe and secure communities.
- Accomplish Sedgwick County priority 4 – Providing quality public services to the community while being good stewards of revenue and funds.
MABCD 2018 Priorities
MABCD has 10 major priorities for 2018 in support of our strategic goals.
- Implement a consolidated MABCD policies and procedures manual to facilitate better training and qualification of employees while ensuring consistent customer/public service.
- Fully implement a streamlined process and maximize participation in the electronic plan review program.
- Review, prepare and present new 2018 International Building and International Residential Codes for adoption.
- Complete review and adoption of Electrical, Elevator, and Electrical Sign Codes.
- Complete adoption of the revised Sedgwick County Sign Code.
- Expand neighborhood clean-up and abatement programs to include revamping the previous Wichita City “Neighbor-to-Neighbor” program to reduce cost and better address issues of neighborhood blight.
- Upgrade Building, Trades, and Housing Mobility inspection tools to further improve timeliness and quality of services.
- Receive, evaluate and implement findings from the FEMA Flood Plan Audit report.
- Expand paperless case documentation and inspection processes to all MABCD divisions.
- Make final modifications to administrative and training areas and improve security measures within the Ronald Reagan Building.