Why Eat Well?
In Sedgwick County, 38 percent of adults are overweight and 24 percent are obese; while 16 percent of our children and young adults are overweight. Obesity is a pandemic affecting all Americans either directly or indirectly; it is costly to our bodies and our bottom lines. Read more about obesity in Sedgwick County in the Data Book.
Food directly affects how well or poorly our bodies perform - and not just pertaining to weight. Healthful foods can help parts of our bodies we can't see by boosting our immune systems and preventing cancers, heart disease, diabetes and other diseases.
How Do I Eat Well?
- Fruits and Veggies Matter - the CDC recommends eating at least five servings of fruits and vegetables each day
- ChooseMyPlate.gov - What equals a serving? How many do I need? How do you read nutrition labels?
- Eating Well is Good for Your Wallet Too - compare the costs of nutritious food and junk food
- Meeting Well Guidelines - forego the donuts and reach for the fruit
- Try These Recipes
- Try These Recipes for the Holidays
- Local Farmers' Markets